Friday, June 08, 2012

A Day for Dads

Father's Day 2012
The first Mother's Day was celebrated in 1914. A day to honor fathers came much later, in 1966. Click here for an historical overview of Father's Day, courtesy of the Library of Congress.

For Father's Day 2012, we offer quick lists of a variety of library resources for the very young and preschool crowd.  Celebrate your Dad with big hugs all around on June 17!

Board Books for Little People
My Dad Is the Best Playground by Luciana Navarro Powell
Daddies and Their Babies by Guido van Genechten
A Wild Day With Dad by Sean Callahan
Daddy and Me by Karen Katz
Kisses for Daddy by Frances Watts
The Very Best Daddy of All by Marion Dane Bauer
Daddy Hugs by Karen Katz
My Dad Loves Me by Marianne Richmond
Daddy's Girl by Garrison Keillor

For Preschoolers and Early Readers
I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman
What Dad's Can't Do by Douglas Wood
My Dad by Anthony Browne
I Love My Daddy by Sebastien Braun
The Night Before Father's Day by Natasha Wing
Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer
Because I Am Your Daddy by Sherry North
Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
Tyrannosaurus Dad by Liz Rosenberg
My Father Knows the Names of Things by Jane Yolen